As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
When it comes to our children, we want nothing but the absolute best. So why would it be any different when we choose to get them toys? If we’re going to give our kids something they are going to play with, sleep with, or potentially even use for teething, we want to make sure it is something that is safe—which is why it’s so important to look for non-toxic toys and eco-friendly toys for children and babies.
Toys that are labeled non-toxic means that the toy is not made of any ingredients that have been linked to a toxic response in the body, such as nausea, cancer, etc. The unfortunate truth is that many toy companies produce products for kids that contain toxins including BPA, a toxin found in hard plastics, PBDE’s, which are flame retardants, perchlorate, a chemical found in rocket fuel, or heavy metals such as lead and mercury.
With so many companies becoming eco-friendly, it’s easier than ever to find eco-friendly toys that are safe for children. So it’s time to ditch the toxins and take a look at our picks for the top non-toxic toys gift ideas for children:
- Hevea Planet – Kawan Rubber Duck — Bath time has never been better for your little one than with this adorable little ducky. Made by Havea Planet, the Kawan rubber duck is eco-friendly, sustainable and non-toxic. The duck is made from natural rubber and is toxin free as well as compostable. In addition, the duck is hermetically sealed and contains no holes, which means a mold-free toy and no worries from parents. With a silky touch, this is the perfect gift for toddlers and babies alike.
- Finn and Emma – Play Gym — For babies that are starting to discover their fingers, toes and how to move them, the play gym by Finn and Emma is a wonderful compliment to their curiosity. With beautiful hanging play items, the play gym is height adjustable and is great for on the go, as it can be attached to strollers, or easily packed in the back of the car. The base of the play gym is made from all natural birch wood and finished with a non-toxic stain, and the hanging toys are hand knitted with organic cotton, making them safe for your children and a perfect eco friendly toy gift.
- Green Toys – Block Set —There’s nothing more classic for kids than a multi-colored block set to get those motor skills going. This classic block set by Green Toys is the perfect choice for little builders. The 18 piece set comes in beautiful, bold colors and is made from 100% recycled plastic, contains no BPAs, meets the FDA food contact standards, and is even packed with recycled materials. There is no doubt that the block set by Green toys is the king of the castle.
- Under the Nile – Stuffed Animals — These incredibly soft stuffed animals by Under the Nile are made of 100% organic Egyptian cotton and meet the Global Organic Textile Standards. This makes the cotton safe for children to cuddle with and even to teeth on. These adorable stuffed creatures are available as cats, elephants, sheep, bunnies and many more. They are made in Egypt at a Certified Fair Trade facility, which means that workers receive fair wages and safe working conditions.
- PlanToys – Wooden Tea set — For toddlers that are just starting to discover different ways to move, grip and play, the wooden tea set from PlanToys is a great choice. The wooden tea set encourages imagination and storytelling. The set encourages role-playing as children mimic adults in the serving of tea or other beverages and helps to develop manners. Just like all of the other toys from Plan Toys, the wooden tea set is made from reclaimed rubber woods to ensure that all children are able to experience toxic-free and eco-friendly toys.
- BeginAgain – Tinker Totter Robot Character Set — The Tinker Totter Robot Character set is the perfect option for toddlers and space enthusiasts. An out of this world adventure, the Tinker Totter Robot Character set comes with 28 pieces, all made from eco-friendly rubber wood and is stained with child-safe, non-toxic stain colors. The play set engages the imagination by allowing kids to stack and connect the pieces to create crazy creatures, as well as helping develop problem-solving skills.
- Lovevery – play kits — Lovevery has play kits for children from ages 0-24 months. Each play kit comes with a variety of age-appropriate toys to entertain, engage and help your children grow. The play kits are designed to help practice motor skills, gain leg strength and body control, increase grip and arm strength and much more. Their toys are made with solid wood, non-toxic paints and organic cotton. This family-owned business is out to share what they have learned about making sure we feed the minds of children, and not just their bellies.
- North Star Toys – Let’s Go Walking Wooden Animals — Sometimes, simple really is better. This perfectly simple toy made by North Star Toys is a great option for your toddler or younger child who are either learning how to walk or looking to take a pal with them wherever they go. The handcrafted wooden animals are set on ball wheels and is attached to a handle by a sting, making it the perfect companion. The Let’s Go Walking Wooden Animals, just like all of the toys at North Star toys, is hand made by a family owned business in New Mexico, who has been making high-quality, non-toxic wooden toys at affordable prices since 1979. Their goal is to share their mission with other families and their children.
- Begin Again – Bathtub pals set — For toddlers that are ready to make the most out of bathtime fun, the bathtub pals set by Begin Again are a great way for older kids to make a splash while they get clean. This brightly colored set of aquatic creatures is made with eco-friendly, heavy duty plant-based rubber. The materials contain no BPA’s, phosphates, or lead, so that they are safe for your little one, even in the water which is why it made our non-toxic toys list. The toys are dishwasher safe to make for easy cleaning, and can also make for a great day by the pool or at the beach.
- Wishbone – bicycle — You know what they say, a business that only focuses all its energy on one thing is a business that makes a really great product, and for Wishbone, it couldn’t be more true. Wishbone has been making toys that help kids move, like bikes and wagons, for some time now. Wishbone’s mission is to make toys out of reusable materials, to consume less, create things that help kids spend more time outdoors, and give back when they can. A wishbone toy is more than just a bike, its supporting a friendly, sustainable business.
- Hohner Kids – Musical Band — There’s nothing like feeling the groove and saving the planet, and with the Hohner Kids musical band, you can do both. This complete band set comes equipped with a xylophone, drum, and three musical shapes with bells and beads attached. The musical band is great for toddlers and older kids who are looking to explore their musical talents. Each piece is free from BPA, lead and phthalates, making it safe for kids. With a full kit, this non-toxic toy is great for kids to share with siblings or at a playdate.
- Hape – Gourmet Cook Set — Another favorite eco-friendly toy by Hape, the cook set is a great option for toddlers and older kids who are starting to interact and share with others. This 13-piece set comes with plates, pots, salt & pepper shakers, and place utensils. Each piece is free of BPA, phthalates, and lead. This set is great for kids to play together, use their imagination, and practice spending time together around a table. And with every piece having child-safe paint and sturdy wood construction, these toys will last for years to come.
With so many options of toys for kids today, it’s already difficult enough to make a decision on which one to buy. However, with our non-toxic toys guide, it’s easy to make choices that are safe for children, the environment, and support companies who are trying to contribute to sustainability in the world.
Do you have any favorite non-toxic toys we should add to this list? Let us know.
Disclosure: The owner of this website, EntirelyEco.com, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and earns from qualifying purchases. This occurs at no extra cost to you, and we appreciate your support.